Make your own activity picker
Want a fun way to decide on a 20-minute activity with your child? Download our template and follow the instructions to make your own Activity Picker.
This Activity Picker will work in the same way as a Chatterbox/Fortune Teller. Follow the instructions below to make yours.
How to make your Activity Picker
- Print out the activity picker on A4 and cut it out
- Flip your activity picker over so the blank side is facing up
- Fold diagonally in half (starting from the bottom left corner, fold your activity picker so the bottom left corner meets the top right corner). Your activity picker should make a triangle. Crease the edge well. Unfold this, and do the same thing but starting with the bottom right corner, fold the activity picker in half diagonally. You should now have a creased point in the middle
- Stay on the blank side and fold each corner so the points meet in the middle. Your activity picker will now look like a smaller square
- Flip the activity picker over so you are on the printed side. You will now do the same step on this side, folding each corner into the middle. Your activity picker will now look like an even smaller square.
- Now fold your activity picker in half, so your square is a small rectangle. Unfold and fold in half again on the other side
- Slot your thumbs and first fingers under the flap. You’re now ready to use your activity picker!
Here's a useful video that shows you how to fold an Activity Picker.
How to use your Activity Picker
- Slot your thumbs and first fingers under the flaps so you can move the activity picker open and shut
- Ask your child to pick one of the numbers they can see on the activity picker
- Open and close the activity picker this number of times
- Ask your child to choose another number they can see (if the activity picker is open, pick one of the numbers on the inside)
- Again, open and close the activity picker this number of times
- Ask your child to pick one of the numbers on the inside
- Lift up that number’s flap and read the activity
- #Take20 and do your chosen activity!