What is a Youth Activist?
We recruit a number of young people every year around the UK who work with us to:
- raise awareness of mental health
- improve the experience of young people with mental health problems
- speak out about mental health in young people in either the media (media champions) or events and conferences youth presenters)
- contribute to our activist Facebook campaigns
- have your say on national and local youth mental health policy
- input on our latest campaigns and communications
- give a youth perspective into everything we do at YoungMinds
Why become an activist?
Throughout your time with us, you’ll develop plenty of new skills and take on experiences that will help you in your future career, including:
- Developing skills in campaigning, media, facilitating and/or presenting
- Meeting new people (both professionals and young people)
- Leading the way in helping to create positive attitudes and change around youth mental health
- Sharing your story and encouraging other young people to find the the courage to talk about mental health
- Inspire young people who are struggling with their mental health to look for support
An an activist, you’ll have our full support – we’ll work with you to identify the campaigns and volunteering opportunities that are right for you. We’ll also check in with you after each activity to get your feedback and make sure you’re getting what you need from the opportunity.
As an activist, you’ll be able to come to a 2 day training course about campaigning to start you off with all the skills you need to get going.
And over the year, you’ll also be able to come along to various sessions with other activists where you’ll learn new skills and have the opportunity to network with other young activists.
How to apply
If you’re aged 14 to 25 and have experience related to mental health – including caring for someone with a mental health problem – then you can apply to become an activist.
We recruit activists from a range of backgrounds, cultures, ethnicities, sexualities and religions – everyone’s welcome and the mixture of backgrounds of our activists is part of what makes it so exciting.
We recruit activists twice a year, usually focusing on a specific region at a time, and if you’re successful we’ll ask that you commit for at least 12 months (though most of our activists keep campaigning long after that!).
To find out when the next recruitment window opens, email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also join our Young Voices Amplified.