We’ve all known someone going through a tough time, and it can be hard to know what to do to help.
It may sound simple but in these moments, small acts of kindness can make all the difference. Whether it’s lending a listening ear, offering a helping hand, or just telling someone how much you appreciate them - it can make a big difference.
And just as important, we need to remember to be kind to ourselves. With that in mind we asked our activists what advice they would give to their younger selves. Here's what they said:
- If you look after yourself, you can look after others better too. You’re always worth taking time for.
- Remind yourself every day to treat yourself as you would treat your friends (or your cat).
- Find something you enjoy and don’t let it go.
- Take time to appreciate the smaller things in life.
Don't be Afraid to Speak up if You Need Help
You are worthy of help and help is available, somewhere, somehow. And remember asking for help doesn’t make you weak.
Run Your Own Race
- You don’t have to take the same route as everyone else. The world would be very boring if we were all the same. This is your life - don’t pay attention to what others are doing - be who you want to be. And remember ‘success’ is different for everyone - don’t let comparison get in the way of your happiness.
- Beauty is not measured in numbers.
- School doesn’t last forever and academia isn’t everything.
There is Always Light at the End of the Tunnel
- However tough things feel now, they will get better. You won’t always feel like this - life may never be perfect but things will definitely get better.
- Make sure that before things become overwhelming you talk to someone. Because a problem shared can be less daunting and easier to get through.