Loving Yourself This Valentine's Day
Guest blogger Beth shares some ways you could make Valentine’s Day a day to love and look after yourself.
It starts at the beginning of February – the familiar dread of Valentine’s Day. Perhaps you’ll be alone this Valentine’s Day and I’m sure you’re already sick of all the teddies, flowers and heart shaped chocolates. But love is what makes the world go round – and not just romantic love for another. Self-love is arguably the most important love that there is, and you don’t need to wait for someone to love you – you can love yourself today.
Here’s a few ideas for spending Valentine’s Day loving yourself that have helped me before:
- Treat yourself to a Lush bathbomb and soak in luxury until your fingers are all wrinkly.
- Cook a fantastic meal, with all your favourite ingredients, that will make you feel warm and homely.
- Even better – have lots of friends round and cook a feast that you will all enjoy. Treat it like Christmas, with laughter, games and silly party hats!
- Start writing down every compliment you get. We are quick to forget compliments and slow to forget complaints. So start storing these compliments for you to look back on when the going gets tough.
- Look through photos that remind you of happier times, if now is not a great time. Memories can evoke such warmth and comfort.
- Look at yourself in the mirror – whether your hair is perfectly styled or you haven’t done anything to it in weeks – and tell yourself how beautiful, precious and loved you are. Keep saying it until you believe it!
- Exercise – I hate doing it, but it always makes me feel better! Perhaps start with something fun like a trampolining session, learning to rock-climb, or a dancing lesson?
- If you’re an adult, play like you did when you were a child. Adult life forces us to be more sensible than is good for us. Every once in a while it’s good to unleash a bit of your childish side – dance around the house to The Spice Girls, start a Nerf-Gun war or do some improv –whatever makes you happy!
- Reward yourself for how fabulous you are. Really want that huge chocolate cake that is in the Valentine’s Day section of the supermarket? Buy it for yourself! You deserve it, because you love you!