The end of the school year looks very different this year. Whatever point you’re at in your time at school, it may feel strange or unfair that you’ve missed out on seeing your friends, playing sports, or having lessons as usual.
If you’re in your last year at school, however, this may feel particularly unfair as you haven’t had the closure you expected to have. Maybe you’ve missed your prom, your leaver’s day or sitting your exams. Maybe you feel like you didn’t get a proper chance to say goodbye to your teachers or classmates. Or maybe you found school really difficult and you’re just glad it’s over.
However you feel about school, it’s important not to let the sudden ending overshadow all the positives.
Celebrate your achievements
If you’re struggling with the end of the school term, or you’re anxious about the future, take a moment to celebrate how far you’ve come and what you’ve achieved. Even though you might not have sat your exams, or had lessons in a classroom this year, there will be things you have achieved and learnt. Reflecting on these things will help you realise you're stronger than you think, and whatever is coming next, you can get through it.
Exams are important but they certainly aren’t everything! That’s why we’ve launched #EndOfSchoolSelfie – to encourage you to share the three most important life lessons you learnt from your time at school.
Here are some things you might have learnt:
- There is so much more to you than your grades.
- You're more than what people say about you.
- You're a talented artist/musician/actor.
- You're a good friend.
- It’s ok not to fit in.
- You’re pretty good at maths.
- You love to study!
- You prefer dancing to writing.
- If you can get through school, you can get through anything.
- Grades don’t define who you are.
How to take part
Anybody can take part, whether you've just left school or it feels like a distant memory.
To get involved, take these three steps:
- Post a photo from your time at school (or a picture of something that makes you feel positive from that time) to social media.
- Share three things you’ve learnt from your time at school.
- Tag three friends to do the same.
Have a look at the video below for more info and examples.
Join everyone who has already taken part by sharing their #EndOfSchoolSelfie
💕 @YoungMindsUK— Dr Radha (@DrRadhaModgil) July 22, 2020
My #EndOfSchoolSelfie for @YoungMindsUK - so here’s me 11yrs doing harvest festival speech 😝☺️
3 things school taught me
🖐lend a hand to others
😝giggles create memories
👩🏼🤝👩🏽true friends are lifelong
Your turn @KatieThistleton @CandiceBrown @OwainWynEvans https://t.co/XSnFl540DE pic.twitter.com/xSTwan4pBv
My @YoungMindsUK #EndOfSchoolSelfie Things I learnt at school:— Audrey Tietz (@AudreyAroha) July 23, 2020
🌾 Not everyone will understand you, don’t try to make them understand you.
🌸 Therapy is AMAZING
🌙 You’ll find your tribe. Be true to yourself, be patient.
I’m tagging @kellyholliday10 @PhoebeARUK @BenAlzUK 💛💛 pic.twitter.com/Wk7KwheytS
Thank you @cleahauser for tagging me in @YoungMindsUK #EndOfSchoolSelfie this is what I’ve learned since school ended:— Panny Antoniou 🌹 (@panny_antoniou) July 23, 2020
💛You can achieve more than you think
💛Always be kind, everyone has their own story
💛Be authentically you, never compromise your values pic.twitter.com/vTpdSDZH7n
3 lessons learnt from school:— Hollie Clark (@HollieAZClark) July 23, 2020
1. Quality of friends > quantity of friends
2. You can’t control what other people think
3. Slow progression is still progression
Photo is from leavers day 2012....
#Endofschoolselfie @YoungMindsUK pic.twitter.com/NeoqCGqUfV
My @YoungMindsUK #EndOfSchoolSelfie— Lexie Perry (@LexiePe04756769) July 22, 2020
1. Quality of friends > quantity of friends.
2. Not getting the GCSEs you expected isn’t the end of the world.
3. Stop caring what people think! Be you! @caitlanmaragh @katekennard5 @Lucysam pic.twitter.com/jw6LqV5fjo
#EndOfSchoolSelfie I left school in 1982, the pic 1975 😀#3thingsIlearned— Brian Porter (@bpsportchat) July 22, 2020
1) Teachers believe in us more than we believe in ourselves.
2) My best days were ahead of me, I just didn't know it.
3) The friends you make at school give you the skills to make new friends later pic.twitter.com/z2pHGLNwds
Here’s my #EndOfSchoolSelfie @zoeleec for @YoungMindsUK!— Binal Patel (@binal_binal) July 24, 2020
3 things I learnt from school:
1. Laughter with your best friends is everything 💛
2. Girls can play football too 🙌
3. Never revisit the side fringe 😂
I want to see yours @JuliaHealthMind @MichelleKerri10 @Will_R0binson pic.twitter.com/rnKrhCr2BE