Be kind to yourself with #5YearOldSelfie
When we feel good about ourselves, it can be easier to deal with life’s challenges. That’s why we’ve launched #5YearOldSelfie, a way for you to practise speaking positively to yourself.
We all have negative thoughts sometimes and tell ourselves unkind things, but how we speak to ourselves affects who we believe we are.
When we feel good about ourselves it’s easy to deal with life’s challenges. If you’re going through a difficult time right now, you can practise speaking positively to yourself with our #5YearOldSelfie campaign.
Here’s how it works:
- Find your favourite photo of your younger self or something that reminds you of when you were younger.
- Type three positive things you would like to tell your younger self. This could be something like ‘You’re brave and strong’, ‘your grades won’t define you’, ‘you’ll grow up with kind friends around you’.
- Tag three friends to join and take part and share on social media with #5YearOldSelfie and @YoungMindsUK
The next time you catch yourself thinking a negative thought about yourself, remember all the kind things you said to your inner child and remember they still apply to you today. As you take part in #5YearOldSelfie, we hope it will help you realise all the challenges you’ve overcome, and encourage you to show some love and compassion towards yourself.
Tens of thousands of people have already taken part in #5YearOldSelfie across Instagram and Twitter…
i literally peaked age five— Daniel Howell (@danielhowell) August 8, 2019
∙ cute, poised, sassy
∙ infectious happiness
∙ big imagination and an open heart pic.twitter.com/MH0aN5NXjf
- you still enjoy dressing up, you now even get paid to do it sometimes— Jade Anouka (@JadeAnouka) August 9, 2019
- all that elaborate storytelling & showing off you’d get in trouble for will become your job
- don’t stress about grammar & spelling will become a poet & break all the rules!#5YearOldSelfie @YoungMindsUK pic.twitter.com/5UHotqHccP
To my #5YearOldSelfie 💛 @YoungMindsUK— Abbie ✨ (@_abbie200) August 9, 2019
1. One day you’ll be safe. You’re so loved and so important you have no idea
2. There’s no shame in being shy. Your shyness and big heart will eventually attract the most genuine people
3. Music is a healer and always will be 🎶 pic.twitter.com/st82gIPBEd
To my #5YearOldSelfie for @YoungMindsUK— Mark Leruste (@MarkLeruste) August 10, 2019
1) Don’t pay attention to those who say it can’t be done, they gave up years ago
2) Have fun and be you, because when you do the world comes to life
3) Follow your heart, it knows best
Now it's your turn @DanielPriestley @mcgheeriley pic.twitter.com/V6mDL3Hz4h
My #5YearOldSelfie. @YoungMindsUK— Madhvi 👩🏾💻 (@MadhviMavadiya) August 9, 2019
1. Don’t feel scared about saying yes to the things you want to do. Say no to the things you don’t.
2. Don’t worry about teachers telling your mum you’re a bad writer. It’ll work out.
3. Get in more trouble. pic.twitter.com/p4fpFmB6LC
This is my #5YearOldSelfie for @YoungMindsUK If I could tell my younger self three things it would be: 1) Don’t let the best be the enemy of the good. 2) Doubting yourself makes you better at empathising with others. 3) Convince yourself you’re good at something and you’ll soon pic.twitter.com/hkPml1SuhJ— Cathy Newman (@cathynewman) August 8, 2019
To my #5yearoldselfie ...— Edward Clements (@eddie10oo) August 8, 2019
1. Embrace your differences
2. Don’t give up on your goals
3. It’s ok to cry
Your go @ItsJacobEdward @AlexDaviesMYP @pat123alf @CaraLisette @YoungMindsUK pic.twitter.com/DgBR0lhivz
#5YearOldSelfie— Joolz Bailey (@BaileyJoolz) August 9, 2019
1. Life is gonna get rough but your courage and strength will get you through it all ⭐️
2. Be guided by your heart that is full of love, not your mind that is full of fear 🌈
3. You grow up to be an awesome person so love yourself more ❤️ pic.twitter.com/EkJJWfknSL
Believe in Yourself
If you're struggling with self-esteem, check out our advice and tips on believing in yourself.