Starting the Conversation
Whilst the activity is underway, what's the best way to encourage your child to open up? Have a look at some of our conversation starters.
Starting a conversation can be difficult, especially if you're worried that your child is having a hard time. It doesn't matter what topic the conversation starts with - it's about the opportunity it gives you both to talk about feelings and to provide comfort.
Here's some conversation ideas to start things off...
- How are you feeling?
- What do you want to talk about?
- What was the best and worst bit of your day?
- If you could start today again, what would you do differently?
- What did you do today that you are most proud of?
- What was the biggest problem you had today?
- Do you want to talk about what's going on?
- How can I support you through [issue]?
- Is there anything that you need from me? Space, time to talk, time to do something fun...?
- What's your favourite song at the moment? Would I like it?
- If you were any animal which one would you be?
- If your life was a movie which one would it be?
- What's your favourite thing about school and why?
- If an alien had landed in your class today, what would you have been embarrassed for them to see?
You’re the leading expert when it comes to your child. You can tell when they aren’t in the mood to talk, or when they aren’t responding to your attempts.
Reassure them that if they don’t want to talk now, they can talk to you at any time. You can also follow up conversations with encouragers:
- I love you, nothing can ever change that
- You can talk to me, I'm here for you
- If you need to talk to someone else, that's okay too
- If you talk to me about what is worrying you, I can do my best to help
- Even if I don't understand, know that I want to
- We're going to get through this together
If you are concerned about anything that has come up in a conversation, try your best to tell them how you see things, and be clear about any actions you are going to take. Try to provide comfort and reassurance.
Want to have the Conversation Starters on hand?
#Take20 is in association with The Drum's Do It Day