Working With Your Child's School

Ways and advice on how you can work with your child's school.

How can my child's school help?

If you are worried about any aspect of your child’s behaviour or wellbeing at school, or if they are not going in to school, it is essential to talk to their teacher as soon as possible. Parents and teachers need to work together to support the child and reassure them that there is a way through. Here are some ways you can work with your child's school:

School / home partnership

  • A home-school book can be a good way of keeping communication going so that everyone is informed of what is happening in the other setting
  • If you are unhappy with the way a member of staff is responding to your concerns, escalate to a more senior person; after that, write to the school governors; lastly the LEA or Academy Trust.
  • If bullying is a concern, the school will have an anti-bullying policy in place, which should be on its website but if not, ask to see a copy

Special Educational Needs

  • If you think your child may have learning difficulties you can ask for them to be assessed so that help is provided. Speak to the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) in the school to ask for an assessment from an LEA-based educational psychologist
  • If you are concerned about your child's mental health, discuss it with both the GP and the school to consider referring you to Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) if necessary.

Where can I get help?

Ace Education

  • Covers state funded education for children aged 5-16 years in England only.
  • Comprehensive free info on exclusions, special educational needs, bullying, and more can be found on their website
  • Information booklets can also be purchased here
  • Adviceline for parents: 0300  0115 142 Mon-Wed 10:00 -13:00 (term time only)


  • Supporting families with disabled children and children with additional needs in England and Wales. Information on EHC plans, SEN support, bullying, exclusions etc.
  • Contact has a special educational needs national advice service.
  • Freephone helpline: 0808 808 3555, Mon-Fri 09:30-17:00
  • Email: [email protected]
  • Facebook:
  • Twitter: @contactfamilies

Child Law Advice (from Coram Children's Legal Centre)

Back To Top