Death and Loss
It’s natural to feel sad, depressed, anxious and angry when someone close to you dies. We can help you find support as you come to terms with your loss.
Whether you’ve lost a family member, a friend or a much-loved pet, you need space to grieve and come to terms with their death.
You’ll feel a whole range of emotions including numbness, anger, sadness, depression, even guilt or relief. You might find yourself worrying about other people’s health, or your own. These feelings are all quite normal. Working through grief takes time, and with the support of family and friends, most of us come through it.
Some people find that coming to terms with a death is a struggle, and life can feel hard to cope with.
Talking to someone about what's happened, and how you're feeling, can help you come to terms with a death or a loss. You could talk to a trusted friend, family member or teacher. If you are really struggling and things don't seem to be changing, talk to a GP.
Where to get help
YoungMinds Crisis Messenger
- Provides free, 24/7 crisis support across the UK if you are experiencing a mental health crisis
- If you need urgent help text YM to 85258
- All texts are answered by trained volunteers, with support from experienced clinical supervisors
- Texts are free from EE, O2, Vodafone, 3, Virgin Mobile, BT Mobile, GiffGaff, Tesco Mobile and Telecom Plus.
- If you're in distress and need support, you can ring Samaritans for free at any time of the day or night.
- Freephone (UK and Republic of Ireland): 116 123 (24 hours)
- Email: [email protected]
- If you're under 19 you can confidentially call, email, or chat online about any problem big or small
Freephone 24h helpline: 0800 1111
- Sign up for a childline account on the website to be able to message a counsellor anytime without using your email address
- Chat 1:1 with an online advisor
- If you're under 25 you can talk to The Mix for free on the phone, by email or on their webchat. You can also use their phone counselling service, or get more information on support services you might need.
- Freephone: 0808 808 4994 (13:00-23:00 daily)