What you'll learn
This course is designed to help you understand the mental health needs of Looked After Children and Care Leavers.
At the end of this course, you'll:
- Develop practical tools to build resilience in Looked After Young People
- Be able to identify risk factors relating to mental health
- Learn about the impact of adverse childhood experience, trauma, and the impact of insecure attachment
- Identify ways of reducing mental health risk factors in Looked After Young People
- Understand issues around stigma
Why take this course?
Just over half of Looked After Children have emotional and behavioural health that is considered normal but they are often exposed to lots of complex mental health risk factors before they go into care. This makes them some of the most vulnerable people YoungMinds works with.
Of the 68,000 Looked After Children in England, 67.8% have special educational needs. One in 10 children aged between five and 16 have a diagnosable mental health disorder - three children in every class.
As they get older, 10% of Looked After Young People of 16/17 years old will have substance misuse problems.
This course gives anyone who works with these Looked After Children and Young People an understanding of their mental health needs and the tools to support them. Using the BoingBoing Resilience Framework designed specifically to meet Looked After Children’s needs, those working with Looked After Children will be able to reduce risk, build resilience and help young people become happy adults.