In this post by some of our YoungMinds bloggers GSCE students Suria and Megan share their tips on how to tackle school stress.
Okay, let’s talk about school stress! We’ve all been there and we’ d like to share some of things that helped us get through it.
School is stressful at the best of times, figuring out what to wear, dealing with friendship groups and trying your best. Everyone finds it difficult. As you get older you find yourself getting caught up in exams, revision and life after school, but just remember everything is going to be OKAY!
In this article we’ll be sharing some of the ways we found to help overcome all the pressure.
- Use different coloured cards and coloured pens to make awesome revision cards, which will help you remember all the important information.
- Find ways of remembering your information e.g. create a short and snappy song to help you.
- Keep your text short so it’s easier to remember.
- This might not apply to all but we find it useful to listen to calming music as it helps us focus.
- Highlight key information you’ll need as you go as it will stand out as information you need to know.
- Remember if you have an argument with your friend, it might not seem like it but everything will be fine. Just be calm and don’t let it get to you.
- If you find yourself not being friends with people you grew up with, don’t worry some people just naturally grow apart. You’ll make new friends who you'll share great, new memories with.
- Moving to a new school can be scary, but you have to remember it will take time to find new friends.
- Keep yourself calm at all times, deep breathes and think of something that makes you relaxed.
- Give yourself a mini pep-talk ( “You can do this” “You know what you need to do” “It will be over soon”).
- Make sure you read every question carefully so you don't miss out marks.
- Keep yourself focused; ignore your surroundings and the people near you.
Throughout your time at school lots of different things will change your perspective on matters and influence your behaviour for the rest of your life. No matter how pressured you are, you'll get through it, it just takes time. Exams, revision and friendships all seem scary but if you keep yourself focused and relaxed, it will all fit into place.
We're in the process of starting our GCSE's and we've found that it is normal to panic or be anxious about everything. The tips and advice we've given you above are all there to help you and us stay calm, relaxed and happy through what is a extremely stressful period of our lives. We really hope that we've helped you and just remember that every little thing is going to be alright!
We hope you have found this article useful and thanks for reading.